This website is the product of a network of people across Australia and Aotearoa, New Zealand, who share interests and concerns at the intersection of disability and spirituality: including people with disability, family members, supporters and friends, practitioners, activists, faith leaders, academics and policy makers.
This multi-faith group has held six conferences since 1996, gathering insights and understandings from a variety of speakers and sources. These conferences have been:
- Brisbane, 1996: Disability, Religion and Health: Exploring the Spiritual Dimensions of Disability
- Adelaide, 1998: Beyond The Ramp
- Melbourne, 2001: Exclusion & Embrace
- Wellington, 2003: Through The Whirlwind
- Sydney, 2004: Bridges To Understanding
- Melbourne, 2016: Exclusion & Embrace
For more information about these conferences, contact us via the email at the bottom of this page.
“In making a measure of the sacred part of our everyday we proclaim a vision of meaning, purpose and ultimacy that is the promise of all faiths.”
“The Muslim community is enjoined to be accepting of all people regardless of their disability.”
Sheik Isse Musse
"Spirituality is the divine spark which enthuses inside the person their dignity, their mysticism, their magnificence, their presence and their awe.”
Rev Leo Te Kira
“Accessing teachings from home is a great advance, (but) it is still not the same as being able to enter a temple.”